Wednesday, April 16, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Hello Again

(Warning- wordy post below!)

Y'all.

It's been over a month since my last blog post.  March was a rough month for me.  My dear, sweet, amazing, brilliant, wonderful grandfather passed away a few days after my birthday and it totally wrecked me.  

One would think that when a 96 year old passes, it couldn't be too much of a surprise.  Well, it was.  He was healthier than most men half his age...until he wasn't.  Then, in the flash of a just few weeks, he was gone.  It was a shock to us all.  After his 95th birthday, I think the entire family breathed a secret sigh of relief; we all were convinced he would make it to 100 just so he could say he had.

I was honored to be asked to share in eulogizing him along with one of his nephews with whom he shared a special bond.  Somehow I managed to put my thoughts into words and not totally break down while speaking at the service in Des Moines.  It was incredibly emotional and when I got back home, the protective bubble I'd been ensconced in with my family burst and I fell into a major funk.  I pretty much slept and vegged out in front of the TV whenever possible.  Unless of course, I was bawling my eyes out.  It seemed like everywhere I went or on everything I watched, someone was talking about or sharing a moment with their Granddad.  

Luckily, some super cheerful fabric along with some super amazing Spring weather helped snap me out of my funk.  Also, the super awesome Sarah from Sarah Quilts had the fabulous idea to start a #FridayNightSewAlong on Instagram.  So, with a little help from my IG pals, my good friend Vodka and that super cheerful fabric, I started sewing again.  I swear, the hum of the sewing machine is not only hypnotic, it's therapeutic.  After a month, I finally got my sewjo back.  Thanks Sarah!

Unfortunately, I haven't had as much time to spend in the sewing room as I'd like due to some family commitments, but I'm hoping to change that this week.  I've decided to temporarily step away from some of the more involved projects I had been working on and focus on a couple quick and easy quilts.

Last year I spontaneously purchased a grab bag of layer cake squares from FQS and finally decided what to do with them when I saw this tutorial by Faith at Fresh Lemons Quilts. 


If that doesn't scream Spring, I don't know what does.  Anyway, those layer cake squares are the super cheerful fabric I mentioned above. They're not of a palette that would normally be my first choice, but they are perfect for a Spring-themed quilt.

Another of my spur of the moment purchases from 2013 was a jelly roll of Barcelona by Zen Chic.  I swear, I love everything Brigitte does.  She's up there with Denyse, Tula and AMH in my book.  I mean...COMMA.  Need I say more?


I started randomly cutting and sewing of Barcelona to strips of Kona Snow and plan to end up with something like this quilt by Kersten @ Frozen Knickers.  But...I think I'm going vertical instead of horizontal.   My plan is to make it big enough to fit the king-sized bed we're getting when we move.  We'll see if that actually happens.

Lastly, my light box kit arrived!  I can't wait to play with it and hope that it helps improve the quality of my pics. Hopefully, you all will start seeing better photos on the blog soon!

Anyway, it's good to be back.  I've been keeping up with Instagram, but I haven't really been keeping up with reading blogs or (obviously) my own blog.  I've missed you guys.  

Have a fabulous week!

Linking up with Lee @ Freshly Pieced
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

5 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. Love your strippy Barcelona WIP! I'm inspired to work more on improv strip quilts like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Your strippy Barcelona quilt looks promising - can't wait to see it on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about the loss of your grandfather. I know the feeling, the same thing happened to me when my grandfather (Pappy) passed. It gets better, I promise! On a cheery note, your fabrics look beautiful and I can't wait to see the finished product. -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. Welcome back and looking forward to seeing what you do with these wonderful WIPs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss! It is sad no matter when or why. I wanted mine o make it to 100 too, but then I would have wanted 105 I suppose. Love your quilting progress here though, hope it lifts your spirits:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day! I respond individually whenever possible; but if someone asks a question pertaining to something in my blog post, I will do my best to answer in the comments so everyone can see. Thanks again!