Wednesday, December 4, 2013

WIP Wednesday 12/04/13

I can't seem to get back into the swing of things after my Thanksgiving jaunt to visit my Dad & Step-Mom. I'm in full on Holiday Mode and want to spend all day baking instead of in the salon playing with hair.  Hubs is working like a maniac, trying to get a promotion which will be announced after the first of the year, so a lot of the holiday stuff we usually do together falls on me this year.  I'm good with that....I mean if I can find a way to have fun in the line at the Atlanta DMV, I can handle a little solo Christmas Shopping no problem. We usually bake for neighbors and co-workers, and this year, there are twice as many people and just me baking, so it will be four times as much for me...thank goodness we have two Kitchen-Aids (they were both wedding gifts!) so, I can multi-task.  

My point with this is all is there will probably be less time for quilting...and of course I have a quilt to get finished by the 23rd...Have I started it? Nope!  Do I even know what I'm doing?  Nope.  All I know is that it will be made with the layer cake of Aspen Frost I have been holding onto for months.  Did I totally wait until the last minute? Well, of course!

I did manage to get a few things done, though...

Audrey @ Hot Pink Quilts put out a call last week for some quilt love for the victims of that terrible string of tornadoes in the Midwest a few weeks ago.  She needed some help piecing blocks for the quilt she wanted to donate.  I committed to making two blocks.


Audrey asked for churn dash blocks, 15" finished, in bright colors.  I had some left over lime and yellow dots from my 'H' is for Harrison! quilt and thought those would be fun.  Both are from the 5 Funky Monkeys Collection by Erin Michael for Moda.  This was my first attempt at the churn dash.and I have to admit...I like this block a lot more now that I've made a couple.  (BTW, please excuse the blurriness of the pic! I snapped a quickie on my way to the post office and didn't check it before I sent them off to Audrey...sorry!)

Also, a quick thank you to Audrey for taking the time to coordinate this.  I was happy to help out and I can't wait to see the finished quilt when she blogs about it!

I also managed to finish my Coquette diamond ring top!  This has been my selfish sewing project for months; and, unfortunately, will be going back on the shelf until I finish the Aspen Frost quilt.  I mentioned before that this might turn into a Christmas gift for my Mother-in-Law...but I'm not sure...Hubs thinks she'll like it, but I think it might be a little too pink for her.  I'm still on the fence.


If we decide to give it to my MIL, the binding will be lavender.  If I keep it for me, the binding will be pink.  She may not be a lover of the pink...but I sure am!

Linking up with Lee Cindy @ Freshly Pieced & Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced   Needle and Thread Thursday

7 comments:

  1. I like the diamond pattern. I should try one.
    I also had a hard time getting back into the swing of sewing after Thanksgiving. Hopefully today I can get back on track, but next up is Christmas (that I am not ready for)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your diamond ring top... charming and scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finishing up my Churn Dash quilt. I agree, it is fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been planning a mega HST project for a while now and I've always thought that diamond ring pattern is quite a lovely way to display scrappy HSTs. I'd love to know what size yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! And I think anyone who knows what time and heart you put into a project like that would love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Coquette is so pretty... I love that layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my advice on the quilt- keep it simple and don't stress. That takes all of the fun out of it. Good luck with all of that on your plate. I haven't had as much sewing time either lately, but that's okay. The holidays bring lots of other forms of fun! I love your diamond ring top. It is so happy!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day! I respond individually whenever possible; but if someone asks a question pertaining to something in my blog post, I will do my best to answer in the comments so everyone can see. Thanks again!