Friday, December 20, 2013

Tidings of Comfort & Joy

I officially suffered through my very first quilting hangover.  After an 11 hour marathon sewing session on Wednesday (my day off to finish up my Christmas shopping no less), I was able to complete my step-mother's Christmas quilt.   Yesterday, I felt like I had been hit by a bus.  I hadn't felt that whipped since my bartending days in Atlanta. I didn't know it was possible to have a quilting hangover, but yes my friends, it is.


Have you ever had one of those projects where everything that can go wrong does go wrong? Well this was that project for me.  First off, I ordered additional fabric for this project over Thanksgiving, knowing full well that it was to be delayed.  I figured it would be delayed by a day or two, not  almost a week.  So that put me behind schedule... then I messed up cutting the background fabric and had to order more of that.  Naturally, I ordered the wrong print..but since I was working with a deadline and those Aspen Frost white on whites work together, I decided to go with it.  Of course, since I was rushing, I botched the cutting...AGAIN. Seriously.  Luckily, I had the last 2 white on white layer cake squares left and was able to add those in.  So, there are three different white on whites in the background of this quilt.  


It doesn't end there, Friends.  Add in some tension issues and crazy thread issues (insert Shout Out to Amanda @ Westwood Acres for posting an Instagram pic of my exact issue and the fix for it!) which meant I got some serious quality time with my seam ripper...by the time I got this quilt basted, I was ready to wave away the wine, turn my nose up at the martini and head straight for the bottle of tequila, straight with no training wheels (which, in bartender lingo means skip the salt and the lime...really, just hand me the bottle, Dude.).

The quilting was the easiest part- this was the only part of making this quilt where nothing went wrong!  (YAY!)

Originally, I had wanted to do FMQ and do swirlies in the white areas..After all the issues I had, I decided to play it safe and do my usual straight line quilting.  I stitched in the ditch horizontally and vertically and then went back and added another line on each side so there are 4 lines instead of the usual 2.  Then I thought it needed a little more, so I added three lines straight down the middle of each line of diamonds.  I like it.


Since the quilting went off without a hitch, I decided to tempt fate and not go with my usual 2.5" binding and use 2" strips instead. Because what better time to try something new than when you're exhausted and working with a Christmas deadline. (Did I mention that I forgot to order the binding fabric and had to make a last minute run to Hobby Lobby praying to the quilty gods the entire car ride over to please let there be something even remotely acceptable?  Like I said:  Just hand me the bottle, Dude.)  Well the quilty gods must have been listening because I found something that felt like pretty good quality and actually complimented Aspen Frost.  


So, back to that 2" binding....I love the looks of it, but there is a serious wonky factor to it.  I ripped half of it out twice and redid it...after that, I decided to go with the wonk.  What the heck, right?  It's not that bad, just a little wavy in places. You can see it in the bottom corner of the pic below. Next time, I will probably do 2.25" and see how that works.


I liked the looks of this quilt once I was finished, but the crinkly goodness after I washed it made me fall in love.  If this wasn't for my step-mom, I'd probably keep it.  For once, the binding isn't my favorite part..I'm crazy in love with the snowflake prints.  I wish I had ordered yards of the aqua and cinnamon...


Here's one last shot of the quilt so you can get a good look at the backing fabric (and my super cool labels that I ordered from Ananemone.)  The  vital stats for this quilt can be found here.  The pattern is Geese in the Park by KarrieLyne @ Freckled Whimsy.  The only change I made was omitting the borders.  I'm linking up with all the Friday parties today and the links to those can be found at the bottom of this post.


Before I sign off for the holidays, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for taking time out of your busy days to read my little blog.  This first year of quilting has been absolutely fantastic and you all are a huge part of that for me.  So, thanks again and have a very Merry Christmas!



Linking up with:




9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of frustration with this quilt! But it turned out lovely. 2.25" binding is my standard, hopefully it will work better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finished a quilt that gave you the Dickens... that's awesome, and I hope you feel great whenever you look at it. It's beautiful, and the speedbumps along the way make it all the more special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the finish. I am sure she will love it. It turned out beautiful, and I think the different white on whites blend together great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee hee - I have to admit to a week chuckle as I read about your patching dramas - we've all been there! The quilting certainly sets off the design really well - take a big sigh and feel pleased! You've done well. Have a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, some quilt just seem to be cursed :) I use either 2.5" or 2.25" strips for my binding and that's as thin as I'd want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out beautiful! Love that line of fabric. I have tried the 2" binding too, and I agree the 2.25 is a little better. It did help when I used the iron to press it over. Stayed in place a little better, but I didn't like feeling like I was fighting with it. I realized if I am not doing a show quilt...no one will really notice. Merry Christmas Georgia Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came from your LAFF linky. I really like the quilt. In a while, you'll see this at your step mom's and wonder what you thought was so wrong with it. =) It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt and the quilting are beautiful! Your Step Mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, and even better that you've got a fun story to tell of all the bloopers along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day! I respond individually whenever possible; but if someone asks a question pertaining to something in my blog post, I will do my best to answer in the comments so everyone can see. Thanks again!