Friday, December 6, 2013

A Friday Finish - The Molecular Structure of Joy

I've been holding off on posting this finish for two weeks.  First, because I wanted to make sure it got to it's new home before I put it on the blog (you never know who's reading, right?) and second, because of the Thanksgiving holiday.  So, I am very excited to share it with you all now.


The quilt has been named "The Molecular Structure of Joy".  I was having a very hard time coming up with something so Hubs named it and I knew the recipient, my Aunt B, would love that...so it stuck!  I was STRONGLY inspired by this quilt by Ashley at Film in the Fridge.  This wasn't the first time I've been sparked by one of her quilts, and I'm sure it won't be the last.  
  

The quilting is straight line.I stitched in the ditch on all the horizontal seams and then added another line on the other side of each SITD line for added texture.  I really like the way it turned out and I will definitely do it again.  This time the binding is not my favorite part, it's my second favorite part.  I am so in love with the backing fabric, I want to make a whole cloth quilt using it.  Those Chinese lanterns make me swoon.  The fabric is from the Lark Collection by Amy Butler and Kona White; the batting is Warm and White; and the thread is Aurifil.  You can find all the details of the quilt here.

I am very happy to report that my Aunt loves it and now has asked me to make her a second quilt sometime next year. 

Linking up with these Friday Finish parties:







10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the colors with the crisp white. And the name is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. And you can't beat Amy Butler for great fabric. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fabulous quilt!! I love all that negative space and the straight line quilting add so much yummy texture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! And the straight line quilting was the perfect choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is incredible! And I loved what you named it, because I totally thought of science when I saw it :)
    I really like negative space, I have yet to make anything like that but I am very drawn to quilts like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one! Beautiful design and colors! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting gives it a lovely texture. I never thought of hexies as carbon rings before, but of course they are!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day! I respond individually whenever possible; but if someone asks a question pertaining to something in my blog post, I will do my best to answer in the comments so everyone can see. Thanks again!